• 2 tbsp (30 ml) melted butter
• 4 cloves garlic, chopped
• 1 lb (450 g) ham, cut in ½˝ (1 cm) thick slices
• 2 plum tomatoes, halved
• 2 sausages, your choice
• 2 cups (500 ml) chicken broth
• 1 tsp (5 ml) mild paprika or
• Freshly ground pepper
• 1 cup (250 ml) long-grain rice
• 1 cup (250 ml) green and/or wax beans, cut in pieces
• 5 oz (150 g) Canadian Monterey Jack, diced
• 4 green onions, chopped
• 2 tbsp (30 ml) fresh oregano, chopped
1. Preheat grill to medium.
2. In a large cast-iron skillet or in an aluminum dish, melt butter and sauté garlic.
3. Brush ham and tomatoes with garlic butter, then place on hot grill along with sausages.
4. Add broth and paprika to skillet, and season to taste. Bring to a boil.
5. Stir in rice, cover and cook 10 minutes. Add beans and cook another 10 minutes or until rice has absorbed all the broth.
6. As tomatoes, ham and sausages become grilled, cut them into pieces and add to rice as it cooks.
7. Remove from grill, add Monterey Jack, green onions and oregano. Stir and serve immediately.
Tips: Try this recipe with smoked paprika for a spicier flavour. For variety, replace the meat with shrimp, chicken or fish.
Cheese alternatives: Canadian Gouda, Havarti.