From EatingWell: July/August 2008
Lightly grilled escarole combined with tangy tomato vinaigrette makes an irresistible accompaniment to juicy beef tenderloin. Serve with grilled baguette.
- 1 cup grape tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons finely shredded Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, divided
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 large heads escarole or romaine lettuce, outermost leaves removed
- 1 pound beef tenderloin (filet mignon) or sirloin steak, trimmed and cut into 4 steaks, 1-1 1/2 inches thick
1. Preheat grill to medium-high.
2. Place tomatoes, 1 tablespoon oil, 1 tablespoon Parmesan, vinegar, basil, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a food processor or blender; pulse until coarsely chopped. Set aside. Combine the remaining 1 tablespoon oil and garlic in another small bowl.
3. Leaving the root ends intact, cut escarole (or romaine) heads into quarters (the root will keep the leaves from falling apart); brush the cut sides with the garlic-oil mixture and sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt. Season both sides of steak with the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Pat the remaining 1 tablespoon Parmesan onto both sides of the steak.
4. Oil the grill rack (see Tip). Grill the escarole (or romaine), turning occasionally, until the inner leaves have softened and the outer leaves have begun to char, about 4 minutes total. Transfer to a cutting board to cool. Grill the steaks, turning once, until desired doneness, 8 to 12 minutes total for medium.
5. Cut the root ends off the escarole (or romaine) and discard. Chop the leaves into bite-size pieces. Serve the steak and grilled greens drizzled with the reserved tomato vinaigrette.
TIPS & NOTES:
Tip: To oil the grill rack: oil a folded paper towel, hold it with tongs and rub it over the rack. Do not use cooking spray on a hot grill.
Per serving: 302 calories; 16 g fat ( 4 g sat , 9 g mono ); 78 mg cholesterol; 11 g carbohydrates; 30 gprotein; 8 g fiber; 601 mg sodium; 1299 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (120% daily value), Folate (96% dv), Vitamin C (35% dv), Iron (25% dv), Calcium (20% dv)
Exchanges: 1 1/2 vegetable, 3 lean meat, 1 fat