Sturdy “country-style” bread works best for this healthy tuna sandwich recipe with watercress and chili-mayo. Eat the tuna sandwich warm, straight off the grill, or wrap it up and pack it in a cooler for a picnic dinner. Serve with grilled bell peppers drizzled with extra-virgin olive oil and vinegar and a glass of Sauvignon Blanc.
- 8 slice(s) whole-wheat or sourdough bread
- 3 tablespoon(s) canola oil
- 2 (8 ounces each) tuna fillets, about 1 inch thick
- 3 1/2 teaspoon(s) chili powder, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) salt
- 1/2 cup(s) low-fat mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon(s) freshly grated lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon(s) lemon juice
- 3 cup(s) watercress or baby arugula, tough stems removed
1. Preheat grill to medium-high.
2. Lightly brush bread slices with oil. Brush tuna with the remaining oil and sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon chili powder and salt.
3. Grill the tuna, turning once, until cooked through, 4 to 6 minutes per side. Transfer to a clean cutting board. Grill the bread, turning once, until beginning to brown, about 1 minute per side.
4. Combine mayonnaise, lemon zest, lemon juice, and the remaining 1 tablespoon chili powder in a small bowl. Thinly slice the tuna with the grain.
5. To assemble the sandwiches, spread about 2 tablespoons of the lemon-chili mayonnaise over 4 slices of bread. Top with about 3/4 cup watercress (or arugula), the tuna, and the remaining slices of bread.
Exchanges: 2 starch, 4 lean meat, 2 fat Carbohydrate Servings: 2 Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (33% daily value), Magnesium (24% dv), Potassium (23% dv), Vitamin C (22% dv), Iron (16% dv).
Source: Eating Well / Delish