To prevent wooden skewers from burning while grilling, soak for 30 minutes in hot water beforehand. Total time: 30 minutes.
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 4 skewers and about 1 1/2 tablespoons sake mixture)
• 4 (6-ounce) skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
• 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
• 1/4 cup sake (rice wine)
• 1/4 cup rice vinegar
• 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
• 2 teaspoons low-sodium soy sauce
• 1 teaspoon dark sesame oil
• 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
• 1 garlic clove, minced
• Cooking spray
1. Prepare grill.
2. Cut each chicken breast half lengthwise into 4 strips. Combine sugar and remaining ingredients except cooking spray in a small bowl; stir until sugar dissolves. Combine half of sake mixture and all of chicken in a large bowl. Let stand 10 minutes. Reserve remaining sake mixture.
3. Drain chicken, discarding marinade. Thread 1 chicken strip onto each of 16 (8-inch) skewers. Place chicken on grill rack coated with cooking spray; grill 2 minutes on each side or until done. Serve with remaining sake mixture.
4. Wine note: This dish calls for a wine that’s bold yet refreshing. Dry rosé does this admirably. My pick: a chilled bottle of Chateau Potelle’s Riviera Rosé from Paso Robles, California. The 2002 is about $15. -Karen MacNeil
Alison Lewis, Cooking Light
Source: Cooking Light