This recipe comes from Kelly Liken of Restaurant Kelly Liken in Vail, CO. Don’t forget to pack a heatproof brush for basting the chicken.
Yield: Serves 6
Total: 1 Hour, 45 Minutes
• 1 1/4 cups ketchup
• 1 to 1 1/2 tsp. hot sauce such as Tabasco
• 2 tablespoons dark molasses
• 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
• 2 tablespoons whiskey such as Jack Daniel’s
• 2 tablespoons Worcestershire
• 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
• 1 large garlic clove, minced
• 1 pound cabbage, cut into shreds
• 1/4 red onion, cut into long slivers
• 1/2 red bell pepper, cut into thin strips
• 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
• 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
• 2 tablespoons sugar
• 2 tablespoons Champagne vinegar
• 1 tablespoon lime juice
• 1/2 teaspoon red chile flakes
• 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
• 1/4 teaspoon pepper
• 6 chicken legs with thighs attached or small bone-in breast halves (3 3/4 lbs. total)
• 1 tablespoon olive oil
1. Make sauce: Combine ingredients in a medium saucepan. Cover and simmer 45 minutes to blend flavors, stirring occasionally with a long spoon (sauce spatters). Add a little water if sauce gets too thick to pour. Let cool, then transfer to a plastic container and chill up to 1 week.
2. Make slaw: Toss vegetables in a large bowl to blend. Transfer to a resealable plastic bag. Put remaining ingredients in a small container with a tight-fitting lid. Chill slaw and dressing up to 2 days.
3. Prepare chicken: In a large bowl, coat chicken in oil; pack in a resealable plastic bag and chill up to 2 days, or freeze.
1. Build a charcoal or wood fire in a grill and let burn to medium (350° to 450°; you can hold your hand 5 in. above cooking grate only 5 to 7 seconds). Bring salad dressing to room temperature. Set aside 1/2 cup sauce.
2. Grill chicken until browned all over, about 15 minutes, turning occasionally. Turn again, generously brush tops with some of remaining sauce, and cook a few minutes; repeat turning and brushing 2 more times, until chicken is well-browned and cooked through, 10 to 15 minutes total.
3. Toss slaw and dressing in a large bowl and serve with chicken and reserved sauce.
Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving.
Kelly Liken, Restaurant Kelly Liken, Vail, Colorado,