When grilled to perfection, eggplant peel is slightly crusty–a nice contrast to its tender, moist flesh. Roasted eggplant makes a hearty sandwich when combined with a coarse-textured bread, such as an Italian ciabatta or sourdough.
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 sandwich)
• 1/4 cup plain fat-free yogurt
• 3 tablespoons (about 3/4 ounce) crumbled Roquefort or other blue cheese
• 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
• 1 tablespoon light mayonnaise
• 1 garlic clove, minced
• 2 Japanese eggplants (about 1 pound)
• Cooking spray
• 8 (1-ounce) slices ciabatta or sourdough bread
• 8 (1/4-inch-thick) slices tomato (about 2 tomatoes)
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
• 2 cups trimmed arugula
1. Prepare grill.
2. Combine first 5 ingredients in a small bowl, stirring well.
3. Trim ends from eggplants. Cut each eggplant lengthwise into 3 slices; lightly coat eggplant with cooking spray. Place eggplant on grill rack coated with cooking spray; grill 3 minutes on each side or until browned and tender. Remove from grill; cut slices crosswise in half. Place bread slices on grill rack; grill 3 minutes on each side or until lightly toasted.
4. Spread yogurt mixture evenly over 4 toast slices. Top each with 3 eggplant pieces and 2 tomato slices; sprinkle evenly with salt and pepper. Top each with 1/2 cup arugula. Cover with remaining toast slices.
Andrea Chesman, Cooking Light
Source: Cooking Light