Marinated tofu slices acquire a golden crust when grilled; the olive-garlic mayonnaise on the sandwich adds a Mediterranean flavor. Serve with grilled asparagus.
Yield: 6 servings (serving size: 1 burger)
• 1/3 cup finely chopped fresh basil
• 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
• 2 tablespoons honey
• 2 teaspoons grated lemon rind
• 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
• 1 tablespoon extravirgin olive oil
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
• 4 garlic cloves, minced and divided
• 1 pound firm or extrafirm tofu, drained
• Cooking spray
• 1/3 cup finely chopped pitted kalamata olives
• 3 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
• 3 tablespoons light mayonnaise
• 6 (1 1/2-ounce) hamburger buns
• 6 (1/4-inch-thick) slices tomato
• 1 cup trimmed watercress
1. Combine first 8 ingredients and 3 garlic cloves in a small bowl. Cut tofu crosswise into 6 slices. Pat each square dry with paper towels. Place tofu slices on a jelly-roll pan. Brush both sides of tofu slices with lemon juice mixture; reserve remaining juice mixture. Let tofu stand 1 hour.
2. Prepare grill.
3. Place tofu slices on grill rack coated with cooking spray; grill for 3 minutes on each side. Brush tofu with the reserved juice mixture.
4. Combine remaining 1 minced garlic clove, chopped olives, sour cream, and mayonnaise in a small bowl; stir well. Spread about 1 1/2 tablespoons mayonnaise mixture over bottom half of each hamburger bun; top each serving with 1 tofu slice, 1 tomato slice, about 2 tablespoons watercress, and top half of bun.
Lorrie Hulston Corvin, Cooking Light