Grill these appetizers when you cook Grilled Herb Grit Cakes. Assemble skewers the night before; brush them with the oil mixture before grilling. Flavor oil mixture with dried ground herbs to suit your taste. Look for okra pods of similar size to assure even grilling.
Yield: 8 servings (serving size: 1 skewer)
• 2 small onions, each cut into 8 wedges
• 24 okra pods (about 3/4 pound), trimmed
• 16 cherry tomatoes (about 1/2 pound)
• 4 teaspoons olive oil
• 1 teaspoon kosher salt
• 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
• 1 teaspoon water
• 1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper
• 1/8 teaspoon sugar
• 2 garlic cloves, minced
• Cooking spray
1. Prepare grill.
2. Divide each onion wedge into 2 equal pieces. Thread 3 okra pods, 2 cherry tomatoes, and 2 onion pieces alternately onto each of 8 (12-inch) skewers. Combine olive oil, kosher salt, and the remaining ingredients except for cooking spray in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk. Brush olive oil mixture over the skewers. Place the skewers on a grill rack coated with cooking spray, and grill skewers for 3 minutes on each side or until tender.
Joy Zacharia, Cooking Light
Source: Cooking Light