Brush plantains (cooking bananas) with a mixture of butter and brown sugar and grill them until they are soft and tender.
Yield: 6 servings (serving size: 2 plantain sections and 1 lime wedge)
• 3 soft black plantains, unpeeled (about 1 1/2 pounds)
• 2 tablespoons butter, melted
• 1 teaspoon brown sugar
• 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
• Cooking spray
• 6 lime wedges
1. Prepare grill to medium heat.
2. Cut plantains in half lengthwise. Cut plantain halves in half crosswise. Combine butter, sugar, and pepper; brush evenly over cut sides of plantain sections.
3. Place plantain sections, cut sides up, on grill rack coated with cooking spray; grill 7 minutes or until flesh is soft and skins begin to pull away from the flesh. Turn plantain sections over; grill 3 minutes. Serve warm with lime wedges.
Bill and Cheryl Jamison, Cooking Light