If the tomatoes are ripe, skip grilling them. Serve with a tropical fruit salad of mangoes, cantaloupe, and pineapple sprinkled with toasted coconut.
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 topped pita)
• 1 1/2 teaspoons bottled minced garlic
• 1 teaspoon olive oil
• 4 (6-inch) pita rounds
• 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
• 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, divided
• 1 (6-ounce) package portobello mushrooms
• 2 medium tomatoes, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
• 1/3 cup (3 ounces) goat cheese
• 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
1. Preheat a grill pan over medium heat.
2. Combine garlic and oil; brush evenly over pitas. Sprinkle 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper evenly over pitas. Place pitas in pan, and cook 2 minutes on each side or until toasted.
3. Sprinkle 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper evenly over mushrooms and tomatoes. Place mushrooms in pan; cook 6 minutes or until tender, turning once. Remove mushrooms from pan. Add tomatoes to pan; cook 1 minute.
4. Spread goat cheese evenly over pitas. Arrange the mushrooms and tomatoes evenly over pitas. Sprinkle with chopped basil.
Alison Lewis, Cooking Light