• 12 slices of pumpernickel bread
• 6 oz (180 g) Canadian Swiss cheese, sliced
• Leek confit:
• 1 tbsp (15 ml) butter
• 2 cups (500 ml) leeks, finely chopped
• 2 tbsp (30 ml) white balsamic vinegar
• 1 tbsp (15 ml) sugar, honey or
• maple syrup
• Freshly ground pepper
1. In a saucepan, melt the butter on medium heat and brown leeks for 3–4 minutes.
2. Deglaze with balsamic vinegar, add sugar and season. Cook for 2 minutes.
3. Spread 4 slices of bread with leek confit, then top with Swiss cheese.
4. Cover with remaining bread slices. Butter outside of sandwich and cook in a skillet over medium heat for 4–5 minutes on each side.
5. Cut into bite-sized morsels and serve as an appetizer.
Serving suggestion: You may use any bread of your choice, and may be served as a complete meal with green salad or soup.
Leek confit can be prepared in advance and kept in the refrigerator for almost 1 week.