This colorful salad acquires sweet notes from the red bell peppers, Vidalia onions, and balsamic-honey vinaigrette. Use spinach or gourmet mixed salad greens in place of arugula, if you prefer.
Yield: 6 servings (serving size: 1 2/3 cups)
• 2 large red bell peppers (about 12 ounces)
• Cooking spray
• 1 large Vidalia or other sweet onion, cut into (1/4-inch-thick) slices (about 10 ounces)
• 6 cups loosely packed trimmed arugula (about 10 ounces)
• 3 yellow tomatoes, each cut into 8 wedges (about 12 ounces)
• 2 tablespoons finely chopped shallots
• 2 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
• 1 tablespoon extravirgin olive oil
• 1 tablespoon honey
• 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1. Prepare grill.
2. Cut bell peppers in half lengthwise; discard seeds and membranes. Place bell pepper halves, skin sides down, on grill rack coated with cooking spray. Grill 5 minutes on each side or until blackened. Place in a zip-top plastic bag; seal. Let stand 10 minutes. Peel and cut bell peppers into strips.
3. Place onion on grill; grill 7 minutes on each side or until tender. Cool 5 minutes; cut onion slices in half.
4. Combine bell peppers, onion, arugula, and tomatoes in a large bowl; toss gently to combine.
5. Combine shallots and the remaining ingredients, stirring with a whisk. Drizzle dressing over salad; toss gently to coat. Serve immediately.
David Bonom, Cooking Light