Yale students hone their knife skills chopping and slicing vegetables for this recipe. Served with rice, it is a satisfying meatless entrée. To quarter a pepper: Use a knife to slice pepper in half, and pull away stem.
Yield: 8 servings (serving size: 1/2 cup rice, about 2 cups vegetables, and 1 tablespoon cheese)
• 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
• 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
• 2 tablespoons olive oil
• 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 3 garlic cloves, minced
• 2 medium zucchini, halved lengthwise (about 1 pound)
• 1 red bell pepper, quartered
• 1 yellow bell pepper, quartered
• 4 (1/2-inch-thick) slices Vidalia or other sweet onion
• 4 (4-inch) portobello caps
• Cooking spray
• Remaining ingredients:
• 4 cups hot cooked basmati rice
• 1/2 cup (2 ounces) feta cheese, crumbled
1. Prepare grill.
2. To prepare vinaigrette, combine first 6 ingredients in a small bowl; stir well with a whisk.
3. To prepare vegetables, combine 1/4 cup vinaigrette, zucchini, and bell peppers in a large bowl. Brush remaining 1/4 cup vinaigrette over both sides of onion slices and mushroom caps. Place vegetables on grill rack coated with cooking spray; grill 2 1/2 minutes on each side or until vegetables are tender and browned. Place vegetables on a cutting board; cut each vegetable piece in half. Serve over rice; sprinkle with cheese.
Maureen Clancy, Cooking Light