Bring the Caribbean’s heat and spice to your dinner table by basting the chicken with jerk sauce, beer, ketchup, and hot sauce. You only use a small portion of the beer in the sauce, so enjoy the rest with dinner.
“This version of jerk chicken was taught to me by our cook in Jamaica, where we vacationed annually. It starts out with bottled jerk sauce, which simplifies matters. -Marion Winik
Yield: 6 servings (serving size: about 4 ounces)
• 1/2 cup jerk sauce, divided
• 1 cup vertically sliced onion
• 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
• 3 garlic cloves, chopped
• 4 chicken breast halves (about 1 1/2 pounds), skinned
• 4 chicken thighs (about 1 pound), skinned
• 1/2 cup light beer
• 3 tablespoons ketchup
• 1 tablespoon hot sauce
• Cooking spray
• Julienne-cut green onions
1. Combine 1/4 cup jerk sauce and next 5 ingredients (1/4 cup jerk sauce through garlic) in a large zip-top plastic bag. Add chicken to bag; seal. Marinate in refrigerator overnight, turning occasionally. Remove chicken from bag; discard marinade.
2. Prepare grill to medium-high heat.
3. Combine 1/4 cup jerk sauce, beer, ketchup, and hot sauce.
4. Place chicken on grill rack coated with cooking spray; grill 20 minutes or until done, turning and basting frequently with beer mixture. Garnish chicken with green onions, if desired.
Marion Winik, Cooking Light