Serve this meatless black bean burger on a bun with hot sauce-spiked ketchup, spinach leaves, tomato, a slice of Monterey Jack cheese, avocado slices, and onion.
Yield: 4 patties (serving size: 1 patty)
• 1 (2-ounce) hamburger bun, torn into pieces
• 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
• 2 teaspoons chopped garlic
• 1 (15.25-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
• 1 teaspoon grated lime rind
• 3/4 teaspoon chili powder
• 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 1 large egg, lightly beaten
• 1 large egg white, lightly beaten
1. Place bun in a food processor; process 4 times or until crumbs measure about 1 cup. Transfer to a bowl.
2. Combine 1 tablespoon oil, garlic, and beans in processor; pulse 8 times or until beans make a thick paste. Scrape bean mixture into bowl with breadcrumbs. Stir in rind and remaining ingredients. With moistened hands, divide bean mixture into 4 equal portions (about 1/3 cup mixture per portion), shaping each into a 3-inch patty.
3. Heat remaining 2 tablespoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add patties to pan; reduce heat to medium, and cook 4 minutes or until bottom edges are browned. Carefully turn patties over; cook 3 minutes or until bottom edges are done.
Note: Nutrition analysis does not include toppings.
Kathy Kitchens Downie, RD, Cooking Light