Combine six basic ingredients for a sweet-and-spicy sauce that cooks in minutes. Apple juice and brown sugar complement the fiery flavors of chili powder and ground red pepper.
Make a sweet barbecue sauce for grilled chicken leg quarters by adding brown sugar and frozen apple juice concentrate to your favorite bottled barbecue sauce, and spice it up with just a sprinkle of red pepper and chili powder.
Yield: 12 servings (serving size: 1 chicken leg quarter)
• 1 cup packed brown sugar
• 1 cup bottled barbecue sauce
• 2 teaspoons dried thyme
• 1 teaspoon chili powder
• 1 teaspoon ground red pepper
• 1 (6-ounce) can frozen apple juice concentrate, thawed and undiluted
• 12 small chicken leg quarters (about 5 1/4 pounds), skinned
• 3/4 teaspoon salt
• 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
• Cooking spray
1. Combine first 6 ingredients in a saucepan. Cook over medium heat 5 minutes or until thoroughly heated, stirring occasionally.
2. Prepare grill or broiler. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. Place on a grill rack or broiler pan coated with cooking spray. Cook 10 minutes on each side. Brush chicken with sauce, and cook an additional 15 minutes or until chicken is done, turning and basting frequently.