Season grilled chicken thighs with a Mediterranean spice blend called zaatar that’s composed of sesame seeds, thyme, marjoram and sumac. Look for it in the spice section of your supermarket or in a Middle Eastern market.
Yield: Serves 4
Total: 30 Minutes
• 1/4 cup olive oil
• 2 tablespoons zaatar*
• 2 tablespoons lemon juice
• 1 teaspoon lemon zest
• 1 teaspoon minced garlic
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 1/4 teaspoon pepper
• 4 chicken thighs (6 to 8 oz. each)
• 1 lemon, cut into 4 wedges
• 8 green onions
1. Whisk together oil, zaatar, lemon juice, zest, garlic, salt, and pepper in a large bowl. Add chicken and turn to coat.
2. Heat grill to medium (350° to 450°). Grill chicken, skin side down, until browned, 5 to 8 minutes; watch for flare-ups and move chicken to a cooler spot if needed. Turn chicken and grill until cooked through, about 4 minutes.
3. Grill lemon wedges and onions in last few minutes, turning once, just until grill marks appear. Serve with chicken.
*Find the Middle Eastern spice blend in the spice aisle of well-stocked grocery stores and at worldspice.com
Adeena Sussman, Sunset