This Sri Lankan chicken dish features wings rubbed with lemon grass, cilantro, garlic, and turmeric. Serve with a simple cucumber salad for fresh summer flavor.
Elagupillai Mageswari seasons chicken wings with a fragrant Sri Lankan paste and serves them with a refreshing cucumber salad.
Yield: Makes 4 servings
Total: 1 Hour, 35 Minutes
• 1 stalk (2 oz.) fresh lemon grass or 3 strips (3 by 1/2 in. each) lemon peel (yellow part only), chopped
• 3/4 cup fresh cilantro sprigs, rinsed
• 8 cloves garlic, peeled
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
• 1/2 teaspoon white or black pepper
• 8 chicken wings (about 1 3/4 lb. total), rinsed and patted dry Cucumber Salad
1. Remove stem end and tough outer leaves from lemon grass. Cut inner stalk into chunks; put in a food processor with cilantro, garlic, salt, turmeric, and pepper. Whirl until finely minced. Pat mixture over chicken wings. Cover and chill at least 1 hour or up to 1 day.
2. Lay chicken wings on a lightly oiled barbecue grill over a solid bed of medium coals or medium heat on a gas grill (you can hold your hand at grill level only 4 to 5 seconds); close lid on gas grill. Cook chicken, turning occasionally, until no longer pink at the bone (cut to test), about 15 minutes total. Transfer to a platter. Serve with Cucumber Salad.
Elagupillai Mageswari, Harbor City, CA, Sunset