Ground almonds thicken this lively herb sauce. The pesto is also good as a spread for burgers and sandwiches, or as a pizza sauce. Most of the fat here is monounsaturated.
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 3 ounces steak and about 1 tablespoon pesto)
• 3/4 cup fresh cilantro
• 2 tablespoons slivered almonds, toasted
• 1 tablespoon chopped seeded jalapeño pepper
• 1/8 teaspoon salt
• 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
• 1 garlic clove, chopped
• 3 tablespoons plain fat-free yogurt
• 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
• 1 (1-pound) flank steak, trimmed
• Cilantro sprigs (optional)
1. Prepare grill.
2. Combine first 6 ingredients in a blender; process until finely chopped (about 15 seconds). Add yogurt and juice; process until smooth.
3. Grill steak 6 minutes on each side or until desired degree of doneness. Cut steak diagonally across grain into thin slices. Serve steak with pesto. Garnish with cilantro sprigs, if desired.
Patsy Jamieson, Cooking Light
Source: Cooking Light