Pinning asparagus spears together with skewers makes them easier to flip and grill evenly on both sides.
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 asparagus raft)
• 16 thick asparagus spears (about 1 pound)
• 1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
• 1 teaspoon dark sesame oil
• 1 garlic clove, minced
• 2 teaspoons sesame seeds, toasted
• 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
• Dash of salt
1. Prepare grill to high heat.
2. Snap off tough ends of asparagus. Arrange 4 asparagus spears on a flat surface. Thread 2 (3-inch) skewers or toothpicks horizontally through spears 1 inch from each end to form a raft. Repeat procedure with remaining asparagus spears.
3. Combine soy sauce, oil, and garlic; brush evenly over asparagus rafts. Grill 3 minutes on each side or until crisp-tender. Sprinkle evenly with sesame seeds, pepper, and salt.
Steven Raichlen, Recipes adapted from Steven Raichlen’s books How to Grill (Workman, 2001) and BBQ USA (Workman, 2003), Cooking Light