From EatingWell: June/July 2006
This dish is simply luxurious: grilled beef tenderloin smothered in a vibrant herb butter served on top of a garlicky slab of whole-grain toast. And yes, with only about 303 calories and 14 grams of fat total, this steakhouse-worthy entree can be part of a healthy diet. If you like, make extra herb butter to top chicken, fish or even a grilled pork chop.
- 1 tablespoon whipped or regular butter, slightly softened
- 3 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh chives, or shallot
- 1 tablespoon capers, rinsed and chopped
- 3 teaspoons minced fresh marjoram, or oregano, divided
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest, divided
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, divided
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh rosemary
- 2 cloves garlic, (1 minced, 1 peeled and halved)
- 1 pound filet mignon, about 1 1/2 inches thick, trimmed and cut into 4 portions
- 4 slices whole-grain bread
- 4 cups watercress, trimmed and chopped
1. Preheat grill to high.
2. Mash butter in a small bowl with the back of a spoon until soft and creamy. Stir in 2 teaspoons oil until combined. Add chives (or shallot), capers, 1 teaspoon marjoram (or oregano), 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest, lemon juice, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Cover and place in the freezer to chill.
3. Combine the remaining 1 teaspoon oil, 2 teaspoons marjoram (or oregano), 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest, 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper, rosemary and minced garlic in a small bowl. Rub on both sides of steak. Rub both sides of bread with the halved garlic clove; discard the garlic.
4. Grill the steak 3 to 5 minutes per side for medium-rare. Grill the bread until toasted, 30 seconds to 1 minute per side. Divide watercress among 4 plates. Place 1 toast on each serving of watercress and top with steak. Spread the herb butter on top of the steaks and let rest for 5 minutes before serving.
TIPS & NOTES:
Make Ahead Tip: Prepare herb butter (Step 2), wrap in plastic wrap and freeze for up to 1 month.
Per serving: 303 calories; 14 g fat ( 5 g sat , 6 g mono ); 80 mg cholesterol; 15 g carbohydrates; 29 gprotein; 5 g fiber; 438 mg sodium; 462 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Zinc (46% daily value), Selenium (44% dv), Vitamin C (28% dv), Iron (17% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 3 1/2 lean meat, 1 fat