Make the most of the bounty of summer produce and cook summer squash on the grill. Marinate the squash and onion wedges in a mixture of orange and lime juices, olive oil, honey, and a dash of hot red pepper, then serve the veggies with a drizzle of the remaining marinade for over-the-top flavor.
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 2 zucchini halves, 2 squash halves, 2 onion wedges, and 3 tablespoon citrus dressing)
• 2 tablespoons grated orange rind
• 3/4 cup fresh orange juice (about 3 oranges)
• 1/2 cup fresh lime juice (about 3 limes)
• 3 tablespoons honey
• 2 teaspoons olive oil
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
• 2 red onions
• 4 zucchini, each halved lengthwise (about 1 1/4 pounds)
• 4 yellow squash, each halved lengthwise (about 1 pound)
• Cooking spray
• 3 tablespoons thinly sliced fresh basil
1. Combine first 7 ingredients in a large zip-top plastic bag. Peel onions, leaving root intact; cut each onion into 4 wedges. Add onion, zucchini, and yellow squash to bag. Seal and marinate in refrigerator 1 hour, turning bag occasionally.
2. Prepare grill.
3. Drain vegetables in a colander over a bowl, reserving marinade. Place vegetables on a grill rack coated with cooking spray, and grill for 8 minutes or until tender; turn and baste occasionally with 3/4 cup of the marinade. Place the vegetables on a serving platter; sprinkle with the basil. Serve the vegetables with the remaining marinade.