Marinate a medley of summer veggies—yellow squash, zucchini, bell pepper, eggplant, and sweet onion—in olive oil and herbs and then grill until tender.
Yield: Serves 12
Cost per Serving: $1.60
• 1 cup olive oil
• 2 teaspoons salt
• 4 cloves garlic, crushed
• 1 teaspoon dried oregano
• 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
• 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
• 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
• 1 teaspoon pepper
• 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
• 6 tablespoons lemon juice
• 3 medium zucchini, each cut lengthwise into 4 pieces
• 3 medium yellow squash, each cut lengthwise into 4 pieces
• 2 red bell peppers, stemmed, seeded, each cut lengthwise into 4 pieces
• 1 large sweet onion, such as Vidalia, cut into quarters, each held together with a skewer
• 2 eggplants, each cut lengthwise into 4 pieces
• 3 portobello mushrooms, stems removed
1. In a bowl, combine oil, salt, garlic, oregano, rosemary, thyme, parsley, pepper, lemon zest and juice. Put zucchini, squash, bell peppers and onion in a large ziplock bag and pour in half of marinade. Seal bag and shake to coat vegetables. Let stand for 3 hours at room temperature. Put eggplant and mushrooms in a separate ziplock bag, add remaining marinade, seal and shake to coat vegetables. Let stand for 1 hour at room temperature.
2. Preheat grill to medium. When heated, oil grates. Place onions, bell peppers and eggplant on grill and cook for 10 minutes. Add zucchini, squash and mushrooms to grill and cook all vegetables about 15 minutes longer, turning halfway through.
3. Cut vegetables into smaller sizes for serving, if desired. Arrange on a platter and serve warm, or cover and chill to serve cold.