Top ciabatta bread wtih grilled vegetables and thick slices of fresh mozzarella for a hearty and healthysandwich.
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 sandwich quarter)
• 3 cups (1/8-inch-thick) diagonally cut zucchini (about 1 pound)
• 3 (1/8-inch-thick) slices red onion
• 1 red bell pepper, seeded and cut into 4 pieces
• 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
• 1 teaspoon extravirgin olive oil
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
• Cooking spray
• 1 (1-pound) loaf ciabatta, cut in half horizontally
• 1 cup gourmet salad greens
• 5 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced
• 8 fresh basil leaves
1. Prepare grill to medium-high heat.
2. Combine first 7 ingredients in a large bowl, tossing to coat. Remove vegetables from bowl, reserving vinegar mixture. Place the onion and bell pepper on grill rack coated with cooking spray; grill 7 minutes on each side or until tender. Grill zucchini 3 minutes on each side or until tender.
3. Hollow out bottom half of bread, leaving a 1/2-inch-thick shell; reserve torn bread for another use. Layer grilled vegetables, greens, cheese, and basil in bottom of loaf; drizzle reserved vinegar mixture on top. Cover with top of the bread; press lightly.
4. Place filled loaf on grill rack; grill 4 minutes on each side or until cheese melts. Cut into quarters.
Note: You can use a grilling basket to make it easier to handle the vegetables as they cook. If you can’t find a loaf of ciabatta, use focaccia.
David Bonom, Cooking Light