An Asian-flavored vinaigrette with an orange juice kicker is the secret to this simple salad, while ginger and cumin give the shrimp skewers nice spice. Since the shrimp only cooks for three minutes, this recipe gives you a good chance to try a grilled dessert after dinner.
You can add a piece of crusty bread to make this simple salad a complete meal.
Yield: 6 servings (serving size: 1 1/3 cups salad and 1 shrimp skewer)
• 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
• 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
• 1 1/2 tablespoons extravirgin olive oil
• 1 tablespoon honey
• 1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
• 1/2 teaspoon grated peeled fresh ginger
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper
• 2 teaspoons extravirgin olive oil
• 1 teaspoon grated peeled fresh ginger
• 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
• 2 garlic cloves, minced
• 2 pounds large shrimp, peeled and deveined
• Cooking spray
• 8 cups baby spinach (about 8 ounces)
• 2 cups thinly sliced shiitake mushroom caps (about 4 ounces)
• 3/4 cup thinly vertically sliced red onion
1. Prepare grill.
2. To prepare dressing, combine first 8 ingredients in a large bowl; stir well with a whisk. Set aside.
3. To prepare shrimp, combine 2 teaspoons olive oil and next 6 ingredients (through shrimp) in a large bowl; toss well. Thread about 5 shrimp onto each of 6 (8-inch) skewers. Place skewers on a grill rack coated with cooking spray; grill 3 minutes or until done.
4. To prepare salad, add spinach, mushrooms, and onion to vinegar mixture; toss gently to coat. Serve with shrimp skewers.
Caprial and John Pence, Cooking Light