A bright sauce, made with mint, cilantro, lime juice, and peppers, brings out the fresh flavor in the lamb-and-veggie kebabs. For dessert, try ice cream with mango-cardamom sauce.
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 2 kebabs and 1 tablespoon sauce)
• 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
• 1 1/2 teaspoons ground coriander
• 2 teaspoons grated peeled fresh ginger
• 2 teaspoons canola oil
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 2 garlic cloves, minced
• 1 (1-pound) boneless leg of lamb, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
• 16 cherry tomatoes
• 16 (2-inch) pieces yellow bell peppers
• 16 (1/2-inch) wedges red onion
• Cooking spray
• 1/2 cup cilantro leaves
• 1/4 cup mint leaves
• 2 tablespoons chopped green onions
• 2 tablespoons water
• 1 tablespoon canola oil
• 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
• 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
• 1/8 teaspoon salt
• 1 garlic clove, chopped
• 1 small jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced
1. Prepare grill to medium-high heat.
2. To prepare kebabs, combine first 6 ingredients in a large bowl; add lamb, tossing to coat. Thread lamb, tomatoes, bell pepper, and onion alternately onto each of 8 (8-inch) skewers. Place kebabs on a grill rack coated with cooking spray; grill 10 minutes or until desired degree of doneness, turning occasionally.
3. To prepare the sauce, combine cilantro and remaining ingredients in a blender; process until smooth. Serve with kebabs.
4. Ice cream with mango-cardamom sauce: Place 1 chopped peeled ripe mango, 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice, and 1/8 teaspoon ground cardamom in a food processor; process until smooth. Serve over ice cream.
Jackie Mills, MS, RD, Cooking Light
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 16 cherry tomatoes
- 10 ounces white mushrooms, stemmed
- 1 medium zucchini, halved lengthwise and sliced into 1-inch pieces
- 1 small red onion, cut into wedges
- 1 pound filet mignon steak, 1 1/2 to 2 inches thick, cut into 4 pieces
1. Preheat grill to high.
2. Combine lemon zest, lemon juice, oil, oregano, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Reserve 2 tablespoons of the marinade in a small bowl. Add tomatoes, mushrooms, zucchini and onion to the remaining marinade; toss well to coat. Thread the vegetables onto eight 10-inch skewers. Drizzle the vegetables and steak with the reserved marinade.
3. Grill the steak 4 to 6 minutes per side for medium. Grill the vegetable kebabs, turning frequently, until tender and lightly charred, 8 to 12 minutes total. Remove the vegetables from the skewers and serve with the steak.
TIPS & NOTES:
Make Ahead Tip: Equipment: Eight 10-inch skewers
Tip: When using wooden skewers, wrap the exposed parts with foil to keep them from burning. (Contrary to conventional wisdom, soaking skewers in water doesn’t protect them.)
Per serving: 283 calories; 15 g fat ( 4 g sat , 8 g mono ); 74 mg cholesterol; 10 g carbohydrates; 28 gprotein; 3 g fiber; 366 mg sodium; 920 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (45% daily value), Zinc (33% dv), Iron (25% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 4 lean meat
Source: Eating Well